Do I need to notify USCIS when I move?

Yes! If you are living in the US and you are not a US citizen, you must notify USCIS when you move. Some work visas also require additional paperwork.

For Everyone

Anyone living in the US on a green card or nonimmigrant visa (student visas, work visas, dependent visas, etc.), must file Form AR-11 online to notify USCIS every time you change your home address.

For People with Pending Applications

If you have an application pending with USCIS that you personally filed, you must note this on Form AR-11 and enter the receipt number for the pending application. Otherwise, USCIS will not match your new address with your pending application and will continue to send correspondence to your old address.

This applies only to pending applications that you personally file. It does not apply to applications that your employer files on your behalf.* 

For Certain Workers in H1B, H1B1, or E3 Status

Accurate reporting of the physical worksite for people in H1B, H1B1, and E3 status is critical for properly maintaining status. If you are working from home full-time or even just one day a week, consult with the attorney who handled your application prior to your move.

In some cases, the paperwork needed to change your home worksite is minimal. In others, it requires an amended petition. In these cases, it's critical to obtain USCIS approval for the new home office worksite before you move in order to avoid falling out of status.


* Examples of applications that you file in your own name include I-765 applications for an EAD, I-131 applications for advance parole, I-485 adjustment of status applications, I-539 applications for dependent statuses like L2, H4, E3S, etc., or an I-140 self-petition filed in the EB1A or NIW categories. Examples of applications that an employer files on your behalf include I-129 petitions for work visa categories like H1B, TN, E2, O1, etc., PERM, and I-140 petitions in the EB1C, EB2, or EB3 categories.